Monday, August 25, 2008

Response from Senator Claire McCaskill

In response to my letter to Senator McCaskill, I received the following reply:

Dear Mr. Stulce:

Thank your for contacting me about renewable energy. I appreciate having your comments and welcome the opportunity to respond.

My colleagues and I are looking for ways we can successfully use energy sources that are both sustainable and clean. Renewable energy like wind, solar, hydropower and biomass are all great alternatives to fossil fuels. Integrating them into the national energy plan would reduce the effects of global climate change and ensure a sustainable energy source for generations.

Just this past December, I supported an amendment to a comprehensive energy bill that would have encouraged utility companies to generate 15 percent of its electricity from renewable sources by the year 2020. Utilities could also earn credit towards that objective through efficiency measures that would reduce electricity consumption. Additionally, I supported a tax benefits package that would have encouraged utilities and homeowners to invest in new energy technologies. Though these measures were not included in the finalized energy bill that was signed into law, I am hopeful my colleagues and I will address them again later this year.

Once more, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to let me know of any other issue that is important to you.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill


Please contact your congressperson today and voice your opinion!

No comments: