Thursday, October 9, 2008

A recent message from Russ Carnahan

Today, I received this email from the Missouri Democratic Congressman Russ Carnahan and it's looking like he's totally backing the Picken's Plan. Way to go Russ!

Dear MR Stulce:

Thank you for contacting me in regard to America's energy needs. I appreciate hearing from you and I welcome the chance to respond to you.

In order to address this energy crisis, we need to fundamentally change the way America powers itself. While the United States has almost 3 percent of the world's oil reserves, we use 24 percent of the world's oil. We have more oil wells than any other country on Earth. And no matter how many more we drill, we will never again pump as much as we did during the1970s. Even self-described oilman, T. Boone Pickens said, "This is one emergency we can't drill our way out of." I agree with this statement, and believe that we must address the root of the problem - America's addiction to oil.

As you are aware, Pickens has developed a plan calling for the replacement of 20% of our energy requirements, currently supplied by foreign oil, with wind energy. Using wind energy also frees up our vast stores of natural gas which can then be used to power our cars with significantly lower carbon dioxide emissions and allows us more time to develop new cleaner energy sources. His plan is consistent with the plans supported by the Democratic Congress - break the grip of foreign oil while developing our own vast natural renewable and clean energy resources. Developing our own energy resources keeps our money and our jobs here and makes America more secure.

Please be assured that since coming to Congress, I have been working hard for all of my constituents to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, bring down record gas prices, and launch a cleaner, smarter energy future for America that lowers energy costs while creating hundreds of thousands of good paying green jobs and securing America's future.

Please know that I will continue to support and encourage legislation that will achieve these goals. Once again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any other issue of concern.

4 comments:

T said...

I love the wind farm ideas, but I think that would get the enviromentalists involved saying that it is killin birds etc. I heard an interview with Trump and he was talking about the Pickens plan he mention putting smaller turbines undeer overpasses on the highways. Just a thought.

Wain Shannon said...

The bird thing was something I had addressed on one of my earlier articles slightly. I find it hard to believe that we could not find some kind of solution for this. I have seen a visual of the overpass system on Engadget.com and it looks good, it has not been very thoroughly tested so far however. There are some concerns about natural headwinds competing against the air caused by speeding cars. There is a turbine manufacturer in Chicago who I recently seen on television who has designed a spiral type turbine design that channels wind from every direction. I can't remember his name however, but the design looked very promising and is being used on some Chicago rooftops right now.

Ken said...

Some of them have spoke about the bird problem. I believe that there are alternative ways to deal with this, such as detractors. Something along the lines of high-pitch frequencies that can deter them from coming near the turbine. Kind of like what people put on their bumpers to drive the deer away from your cars when you're driving down the road. That's one idea. Maybe even have a thin, light-weight cage surrounding the "fan blade" to keep birds or other obstacles from being into gooshy pieces. Of course, this could make good fertilizer for the farmers fields. It's a win/win, regardless. J/K.

T said...

Ihave heard that they want to try in a few select cities putting the turbines on top of skyscrapers